This service enables the holder of an official document issued by a college to have it authenticated by the Ministère de l'Éducation, du Loisir et du Sport (MELS) for use in another country. Certification consists of placing the MELS seal on the document and attaching to it an attestation of authenticity. The latter confirms that the college is recognized by MELS and explains the nature of college studies in Québec.
In the case of a document issued by MELS (certification of diploma awarded or a duplicate of a diploma), a memorandum can be issued which confirms that MELS recognizes the college and explains the nature of college studies in Québec.
- Check with the institution, employer, foreign embassy or consulate to see if authentication by MELS is required, as this is not always the case.
- For official documents issued by colleges – Attestations of College Studies (ACS), College Studies Transcripts and proofs of college attendance:
- Write and sign a letter which lists the documents to be authenticated and provides the address to which they should be sent once authenticated.
- Give this letter to the person in charge of the registrar’s office at your college and ask him/her to issue the official documents and send them along with the request letter to the following address:
Direction du soutien aux établissements
Ministère de l'Éducation, du Loisir et du Sport
1035, rue De La Chevrotière, 18e étage
Québec (Québec) G1R 5A5
- For official documents issued by MELS – Certifications of diplomas awarded and duplicates of diplomas:
- Follow the normal procedure for requesting the document.
- In the Comments section of the form, indicate that this document will be used in another country and must be accompanied by an explanatory memorandum.
Note: The procedure to obtain certification of a document pertaining to studies at levels other than college is described in the Certification and attestation of authenticity for documents pertaining to studies in Québec for use in another country.