Under its constituting law, the Ministère de l’Éducation, du Loisir et du Sport carries out its activities in the fields of preschool, elementary and secondary school education, and in the fields of recreation and sports*. Its activities are primarily focused on:
- promoting education, recreation and sports
- contributing, by promotion, development and support in those fields, to raising the level of scientific, cultural and professional achievement as well as the level of participation in recreation and sports activities for the population of Québec and its individual members
- furthering access to higher forms of learning and culture for anyone with the desire and aptitude for such pursuits
- contributing to the harmonization of its orientations and activities with general government policy and with economic, social and cultural needs
* As regards higher education, the functions of the Minister of Education, Recreation and Sports provided for in the Act respecting the Ministère de l’Éducation, du Loisir et du Sport (chapter M-15) are assigned to the Minister of Higher Education, Research, Science and Technology under Order in Council 878-2012 dated 20 September 2012, (2012), 144 Gazette officielle du Québec 2 (French), p.4872.