Studying in Québec
Exemptions Granted by Virtue of Agreements
Exemptions Granted by Virtue of Agreements Signed Between Québec and Foreign Countries
A limited number of international students from countries with which Québec has an arrangement or bilateral agreement on tuition fees are granted an exemption from paying differential tuition fees.
If you have already obtained an exemption, you must fulfill the related obligations so that it will not be revoked.
Here are the steps to follow in order to obtain such an exemption :
- Find out if your country of citizenship is one of the signatories to an arrangement or a bilateral agreement with Québec.
- Contact the authority in your country of citizenship or at the international organization that manages exemptions (French only) to find out selection criteria and to obtain an application form.
- Submit an application for admission to a Québec college or university.
- Forward the acceptance letter or registration attestation from your college or university, as well as the application form, to the relevant authority in your country of citizenship.
- Obtain a recommendation from your country of citizenship.
- Await the notice of acceptance or refusal from the relevant authority in your country of citizenship.
- Hold a student visa in keeping with Canadian immigration legislation and a Certificate of Acceptance from Québec (CAQ) issued by the Ministère de l’Immigration et des Communautés culturelles du Québec.
|Your country of citizenship is responsible for selecting exemption candidates. Exemption requests must be submitted by the appropriate intermediary on behalf of your country’s government. This formality must be observed.|
Please note that universities and colleges have a set quota of exemptions. Contact the educational institution to find out the selection criteria.