Studying in Québec
As of fall 2008, the ancillary fee payable by international undergraduate students in university was divided into a regulated and a deregulated stream. The deregulation of undergraduate-level fees impacts six academic disciplines: Administration, Computer Sciences, Engineering, Law, Mathematics and Pure Sciences. The information on this page covers the regulated stream only. To find out the ancillary fees for the deregulated disciplines, contact the university you have selected.
Tuition Fees for the Regulated Disciplines for 2011-2012
Tuition fees payable by international students enrolled in a Québec university consist of three elements, namely, basic tuition fees, an ancillary fee and an optional fee:
- Basic tuition fees ($72.26 per credit)
- Ancillary fee:
- Undergraduate level:
- $375.57 per credit for the “soft” disciplines: Social Sciences, Humanities, Geography, Education, Physical Education and Literature
- $427.02 per credit for the “hard” disciplines
- Master’s level: $375.57 per credit
- Doctoral level: $330.54 per credit
|Québec fee||$2 167.80||$2 167.80||$2 167.80||$2 167.80|
|+ ancillary fee||$11 267.10||$12 810.60||$11 267.10||$9 916.20|
|Minimum subtotal||$14 434.90||$14 978.40||$13 434.90||$12 084.00|
|+ optional 10%||$1 343,49||$1 497.84||$1 343.49||$1 208.40|
|Maximum subtotal||$14 778.39||$16 476.24||$14 778.39||$13 292.40|
|Minimum / Maximum**||From $13 434.90
to $14 778.39
|From $14 978.40
to $16 476.24
|From $13 434.90
to $14 778.39
|From $12 084.00
to $13 292.40
* Other fees to be paid in addition to tuition fees include application fees, registration fees and other miscellaneous fees, fees for course materials, student association fees and premiums for health and hospital insurance. For more information, contact your university.
** Calculations are based on 30 credits per year.
Tuition Fees for the Deregulated Disciplines
There will be a deregulation of ancillary fees at the undergraduate level for the following six disciplines: Administration, Computer Science, Engineering, Law, Mathematics and Pure Sciences. The ancillary fees indicated in the table do not apply to the deregulated fields of study. To find out the ancillary fees for the deregulated fields of study, contact your university.
Exemption From Differential Tuition Fees
In certain cases, students may be exempted from paying differential tuition fees. Consult the Exemption From Differential Tuition Fees section to find out the categories of individuals eligible for an exemption.
- Budgetary rules and operating grants for Québec universities for the 2011-2012 academic year (French only)
- Policy for Québec university tuition fees payable by international students (Politique relative aux droits de scolarité exigés des étudiantes et étudiants étrangers par les universités du Québec) (French only)