Action Plan on Reading in School
Recognition Awards in Reading
Discover the 2011-2012 prizewinning projects!*
These awards* honour individuals who spark a passion for reading in others.
One of the key indicators of educational success is the acquisition of the language of instruction. In addition, the foundation of learning in all subjects is the comprehension of written material, in both elementary and secondary school. To support the accomplishment of these two goals, the Action Plan on Reading in School promotes access to documentary and literary resources on a physical, pedagogical and cultural level, and seeks to implement a series of measures to ensure the effectiveness of efforts in this area. This Web section, intended for schools, families and the community at large, presents a range of ideas and resources:
- Reflections on the importance of reading and different ways of developing this competency in young people
- A digital network of resources identifying organizations involved with reading that can support actions by the schools
- Ideas and resources to help set up and develop school libraries*
- Documents and Links promoting books and reading to different groups
- A program of action closely related to other MELS programs and resources
To support the use of school library resources for pedagogical and cultural purposes
Anthology of Good Ideas
Suggestions for encouraging reading, based on projects carried out in schools
Network of Resources
A search tool for finding organizations that can enrich students’ reading and writing experiences and support actions by the schools
* These pages are in French.