Regulation respecting the distribution of information and the protection of personal information
On May 29, 2008, the Regulation respecting the distribution of information and the protection of personal information came into effect. This regulation, established under the Act respecting Access to documents held by public bodies and the Protection of personal information, imposes on the heads of departments and public bodies to whom it applies obligations corresponding to those provided for under the Act. It enhances the transparency of public bodies by ensuring the distribution of documents that are of public interest. It also provides increased protection for personal information by creating control mechanisms when the information system or electronic service delivery system is developed or reorganized. The Regulation also identifies some factors to consider when conducting surveys or using video surveillance technology.
Access to documents or information
In practice, the Regulation provides for the publication on the Ministère’s Web site, beginning on November 29, 2009, of the following types of documents:
- the list of the names and titles of the members of management staff or officers who make decisions regarding the management of the programs and services provided by the Ministère
- the studies, research or statistical reports produced by or for the Ministère
- an inventory of its personal information files
or the following information:
- the name and contact information of the person in charge of access to documents and the protection of personal information
- information concerning contracts over $25 000 awarded by the Ministère
Publication is pursuant to the establishment of the right of access to these documents or this information under the Act respecting Access to documents held by public bodies and the Protection of personal information.
The Ministère has established general criteria in order to be able to make decisions regarding the transmission of documents following requests for access to information or documents that are of public interest. Analysis of the documents in question will take into account the following factors, among others: the media coverage or public concern associated with a particular issue, considered in terms of the mission of the Ministère’s programs, services and strategic orientations.